My Embassy Life: Ten Activities to Enjoy in Melbourne This Summer
Ángela Carolina Botero Zuluaga, our newest student blogger, has been working as a journalist in her home country of Colombia, she knew that in order to achieve her goals of taking her career to the next level, she needed to improve her English language skills. Because Angela’s dreams also included international travel, particularly to Australia, when she discovered Embassy English Melbourne, she knew had found the perfect programme. As part of her intensive English language immersion, Angela will be writing weekly articles for Study Group’s Brightly Blog, as well as acting as a guest contributor to the Embassy English Blog. Stay tuned to follow Angela’s My Embassy Life in fascinating Melbourne, Australia!
My Embassy Life: Ten Activities to Enjoy in Melbourne This Summer, By Ángela Botero
Maybe you have some ideas in mind about how to spend your summer, but Melbourne City has planned some amazing activities for your holidays. After asking my classmates and my new Australian friends the best things to do in summer, I now have the pleasure in sharing them with you!
Here are ten ways to have a ball on your summer holidays:
- Melbourne has the fortune to offer for all their citizens the Moonlight Cinema. This local favourite outdoor cinema shows cult movies in the Royal Botanical Gardens. You can enjoy a summer night with your friends sharing some food while you watch a good movie. If you want to know what movies the cinema has, you can check the program in the website moonlight.com.au
- I cannot wait to bring my friends to enjoy the giant inflatable water slide in Federation Square! We can cool down this summer splashing in sustainably-sourced water, on 75 metres of slide. The best part? You don’t need bathers, just your summer clothes and a lot of energy. Starting on the 9th of January until 16th.
- Now you can’t forget the most important event in summer? Of course, I’m talking about one of the most recognized sporting events in the world, the Australian Open! I’m very happy because I can see stars of the tennis both Lleyton Hewit and Roger Federer.
Photographer: Michael Dodge/Getty Images
- Every Wednesday night is magic at Queen Victoria Market. If you want to discover different kinds of fruit, vegetables or international dishes, this is the best festival to do it. In my classes, everyone is already talking about it. It’s a tradition in Melbourne to be a part of this festival every summer.
- The library is not only a place to keep silent! In summer, Melbourne’s libraries have a range of events. For example, after classes you can go with your classmates to Docklands Library where you can learn about how Docklands was the place where 90s culture was developed with electronic music and dirt bike competitions.
- Valentine’s Day is on Sunday 14th of February. (This surprised me because in Colombia, we celebrate this day in September.) The best way to celebrate this day in Melbourne is at the most renowned music festival “St. Kilda Festival.” What’s better than the beach to celebrate with the best of the local scene on this gorgeous day?
7. Who didn’t dream of the Jurassic Park dinosaurs? After classes you can go to the Museum Victoria and discover how dinosaurs moved, what they ate and how they survived.
- One of the biggest celebrations in the sunny days is Melbourne’s Midsumma Festival. Take your friends to the fabulous Forest Glade Gardens for the Australia Day Picnic. This festival is a sign of Melbourne’s multiculturalism.
- Summer is time to take your life easy. So have you ever wondered what happened with the book you left months ago in the bed side table? Well, that book is waiting for you, especially when your mind wants to be refreshed with new ideas.
- At Embassy English we finish our classes on Friday, so our favourite plan is going to play soccer at Gosch’s Paddock. With Embassy English staff support, more than 15 students are taking their soccer shoes to enjoy the sunny afternoons.
« Previous post